Our mission is pretty simple: we want to see our communities grow in hope and capacity. We know that this leads to lasting spiritual, emotional, economic, social, physical and environmental transformation.
By hope we mean: the belief that one’s life is able to be different than it is now. This is not a given in our community.
By capacity we mean: the ability to create change in one’s life. People with skills, education and good credit have more capacity than those without them.
We take a whole-life approach to transformation, so our work takes on a lot of different forms.
- 200 students at LightHouse Academy, K-8
- Partnering with other schools to admit our students to local high schools and colleges
- Teaching the community environmental sustainability, especially around charcoal
- Providing access to clean water
- Training women to grow food on our farm (which also provides food for the LightHouse Academy students!)
- Providing basic healthcare for kids and community at LightHouse Academy
- Training women and girls through job skills training programs so they are able to financially provide for their families
- Transforming lives through Jesus – teaching His ways, demonstrating His love, and showing His leadership in all of our activities
We serve in Rachuonyo District of Homabay County in Western Kenya. LightHouse Academy is located in the village of Alendu.
Christ-Centered Actions: Our comprehensive approach keeps Christ at the center of every activity, resource, or program.
Compassion, Respect, and Dignity: We know that by treating our community with compassion, respect, and dignity, their self-worth grows. And with self-worth comes the willingness to accept responsibility to positively change their personal lives.
Empowerment and Accountability: Our goal is to engage in activities that will empower the community to be self-sustaining and successful. At the same time, everyone we work with are held to account for their actions. This requires that we engage in high standards of equipping others and empowerment.
Professionalism and Pride: We expect everyone that serves with us will conduct themselves in a professional manner and with a sense of pride in the quality of work, so that others would desire to be fully engaged in our work as well. Like all of our values, this value extends across our professional staff, interns, volunteers, and partners.
Collaboration: We believe we must link hands with people who share the same global vision to end poverty and suffering. Together we can transform lives and communities.
Our Approach Is…
Our work is to help make people whole, and this involves addressing all aspects of their lives, like home environment and family structure. We address these factors with social work support and regular home visits so the whole person is developed and supported.
We research and apply economic and sustainable systems that are useful to the communities we serve. Our desire is for our impact to be self-sustaining, fueled by the community’s ability to keep appropriate programs running well beyond our direct involvement.
We consider the whole person, including the spiritual, mental, social, economic, and education needs of each individual. All of our programs are created to serve the pieces of people that make them whole.